Richard J. Schulman is a member of the Firm’s Litigation and Arbitration Practice Group. He is a business litigator who concentrates on fraud and other complex commercial matters. Mr. Schulman regularly counsels clients on how to avoid litigation and, where possible, assists in the resolution of disputes before they reach that stage. Most of his practice, though, concerns the active litigation of business disputes. With the litigation objectives of clients as his focus, he vigorously represents their interests through resolution of the disputes.
Mr. Schulman’s experience includes jury and bench trials, arbitrations and mediations, administrative and regulatory proceedings, and appeals.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Schulman has litigated all manner of fraud-based actions as well as cases involving a broad range of other business issues, including:
- Securities fraud and other violations of the federal securities laws
- Investment fraud
- Business fraud
- Real Estate fraud
- Breaches of fiduciary duty and other business torts
- Fraudulent inducement, causing a person to enter into a contract, engage in a transaction, make a purchase, effect a transfer, or take some other action
- Contract disputes and other commercial disagreements
- Disputes between members or partners in business entities
- Real estate disputes arising out of contested investments, transactions and agreements
- Insurance-related matters on behalf of insurance companies, insurance agencies and insureds
- Employment discrimination suits, such as those alleging sexual harassment and discrimination
- Product liability disputes, defending actions asserting liability with respect to products manufactured and sold by major corporations
- Computer hardware and software problems
- Intentional tort and negligence claims
Mr. Schulman is admitted to practice in New York, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Circuit Courts for the Second and Ninth Circuits, and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Schulman practiced at several prominent law firms, the first being Rogers & Wells (now Clifford Chance LLP) and the most recent being Bryan Cave LLP.
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- FINRA Dispute Resolution: Arbitrator
- Martindale – Hubbell Law Directory rating: “AV Preeminent"
- Super Lawyers: New York Metro: 2011 - 2023
- Selected as one of the "New York Area's Top Rated Lawyers" 2012 – 2015
- Avenue Magazine's Legal Elite: NYC's Top Litigation Attorneys 2010 - 2012