Matthew Carpinello is a partner in the Real Estate Department. He is also a member of various specialty practice groups, including, the Real Estate Finance practice group, the Construction practice group, and the Distressed Real Estate practice group.
Mr. Carpinello’s practice focuses on the representation of real estate funds, mortgage REITs, banks, sovereign wealth funds, owners, developers, operators, and other financial institutions in the origination of securitized loans, syndicated loans, construction loans, mezzanine loans, and preferred equity investments across all real estate asset classes, including transactions that involve multi-tiered intercreditor arrangements and senior/subordinate (A/B) notes and participations.
Mr. Carpinello also regularly represents borrowers and lenders in connection with loan workouts, loan restructurings, loan enforcement actions, discounted pay-offs, deed-in-lieu transactions, and foreclosures. Such work covers all real estate asset classes, including office, retail, healthcare (including senior living facilities), hotels and resorts, industrial, mixed-use, and multifamily.
- Represented real estate fund, as lender, on the origination of a $75 million construction loan to be used for the completion of a stalled luxury beach resort project located in the Dutch Caribbean and flagged under a leading international hotel brand.
- Represented real estate fund, as lender, on the origination of a $100 million mezzanine loan secured by a distressed luxury condominium project located in New York City.
- Represented non-bank lender on the origination of a $175 million mortgage and mezzanine loan secured by a luxury residential construction project located in Los Angeles.
- Represented sovereign wealth fund, as borrower, on the simultaneous origination of six separate loans (each from a different lender) totaling over $4 billion of loan proceeds and secured by over 290 industrial assets located across the United States.
- Represented private equity fund, concurrently as both borrower and lender, in the origination of (i) a $275 million construction loan to be used for the expansion of an internationally known major movie studio campus and (ii) a $125 million note-on-note financing secured by the $275 million note.
- Represented asset management firm on (i) the origination of a $40 million refinancing of a newly-constructed beach resort in Florida, subject to an existing EB-5 mezzanine loan and (ii) the subsequent sale of the loan.
- Represented private equity firm, as borrower, on the origination of a mortgage loan, senior mezzanine loan and junior mezzanine loan (each from a different lender) totaling over $415 million of loan proceeds and secured by an office building located in the United States.
- Represented a publically traded REIT, as buyer, on the acquisition of a $60 million mortgage loan secured by a residential development located in New York City.
- Represented a family office, as borrower, in obtaining a $388 million mortgage and mezzanine loan secured by a luxury condominium development located in New York City.
Mr. Carpinello received his J.D. from the George Washington University School of Law with Honors, where he was a member of the George Washington International Law Review and a George Washington Scholar.
Mr. Carpinello is admitted to practice in the State of New York. He is a member of the American Bar Association.